1. What should you wear for engagement photos?
The first rule to follow when choosing your outfits for engagement photos is to dress like the best version of yourself.
Wear an outfit that you would wear on a date night. There is nothing wrong with dressing casual for your e-session, but make it the nicest version of casual as possible.
So, if you prefer going barefoot in a pair of jeans and a t-shirt, wear the jeans that have the most flattering fit. Buy a new t-shirt to ensure your collar is not stretched out.
We have 3 more tips for you…
- Coordinate but don’t try to be twins
- Try and fit in with your location
- Add some contrast to your photos by wearing a color that “pops”. Adding in a single item of color can give your images that “wow” effect.
- A bright skirt or dress when everything else is neutral colored
- A colorful pair of shoes or heels
- Bright accessories like jewelry, scarves, or hats.
Have fun with it and show off your personality!
* If doing your session between November-April when everything outside is still gray, we definitely recommend including a pop of color.
Bonus tip: Definitely wear your best shoes during your photos but consider bringing a pair of walk-around shoes. (MaClay Gardens is brick walk ways so you’ll want flats for that area and through grassy area.)
You will probably be walking around a lot during your engagement session.
By bringing a pair of comfy shoes to wear in between locations, you will save yourself a lot of discomfort.
2. What should you not wear for engagement photos?
Knowing what to avoid is just as important as what to wear when it comes to engagement photos.
We recommend staying away from the following:
- Clothes that feature large graphics or logos.
- Mixed patterns. We recommend staying away from anything that is too distracting (like stripes and polkadots together). If wearing a pattern, keep it to a single item of clothing or accessory.
- Neon colors (especially on top). If you are doing your session in direct sunlight, the light reflected onto your partner will be that color. Nobody wants to look neon green.
- Brand new clothes that have never been worn. You don’t want to be tugging at a top that doesn’t fit right. If purchasing a new outfit for your engagement session, wear it around the house for a full day.
- If at all possible, stay away from bright white shirts. Your eye is typically drawn to the brightest spot in a photo. If that spot is your entire bright white shirt, it’s what you and others will notice first in the photos.
3. How many outfits should you bring to our engagement session?
We recommend wearing 1 or 2 outfits during your session. This gives you the opportunity to get dressed up with one outfit and get comfortable with the 2nd outfit.
If you plan on wearing only 1 outfit, we recommend adding some accessories so you can get a few different looks.
A few examples:
Wear a blazer or coat that you can take off to reveal the top you have on underneath.
Carry a colorful purse for a few shots with color.
Are you both big sports fans? A great option for a 2nd outfit for your engagement photos could be sports jerseys. Maybe you could bring a football or a baseball and baseball glove to get some fun action shots. That is totally up to you.
Something else to consider when choosing your outfits:
Consider two outfits if your main outfit is something that is hard to move around in.
Do you want some fun and playful images of giving each other piggyback rides?
Do you want to take some photos of the two of you sitting or lying down in a field?
Lifestyle photos like these might look or feel awkward if you are wearing a form-fitting short skirt or a nice suit.
Make your 2nd outfit comfortable and casual. That way you can finish the session with some awesome lifestyle images. (We’ll have a pop-up changing room).
*Bonus tip – Bring one more outfit than you plan on wearing. So, if you are planning on two outfits, bring 3. This will give you a backup in case of a wardrobe malfunction.
4. Should I have my hair and makeup done for my engagement session?
While having your makeup and hair done by a professional is not required, we highly recommend it for the same reason we recommend it for your wedding day. It will make you feel more confident, and that confidence will show in your photos.
It does not mean that you have to make yourself into someone that is not the real you. The goal is to look like the best version of yourself.
This might be the perfect time to do a makeup trial for the wedding.
We also recommend getting a manicure before the session (or at least taking care of any chipped nails).
We will probably want to take some gorgeous photos of you showing off your ring.
Speaking of rings, we recommend having your ring cleaned just before your engagement session. That way it will really sparkle in your photos.